Thursday, August 6, 2009

Billy Buck Hill: A Gentleman Is Appreciative of History

I am almost completely done unpacking in my new apartment. The prodigal son has returned to the South Side Slopes, more specifically Billy Buck Hill? That's right, hang a left onto Yard Way and you will see a sign marked "Welcome to Billy Buck Hill." Of course an overactive imagination in a perverse 25-year-old mind begins fleshing out The Legend of Billy Buck: Epic Pittsburgh Bootlegger. I half expected to see a plaque in front of my house saying:
On this day in 1939 Billy "Buck" McGraw was gunned down by 29 Federal enforcement officers after a 23-day standoff. It took over 50 rounds to end his life.

Determined to find out who the real Billy Buck was I took advantage of the wonderful collection of local history in the Pennsylvania Room of the Carnegie Public Library, but had little success. I then ran across this 2000 Pittsburgh Post Gazette article profiling Billy Buck Hill as a quintessential Pittsburgh neighborhood.

It turns out my neighborhood is called "Billy Buck Hill" because people used to keep goats on the steep hillsides..... damn it.



No comments:

Post a Comment