Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's Day: A Gentleman Always Cherishes His Mother

I always get a little depressed working on Mother's Day. This is not due to the fact that I cannot be with my own mother [requisite flowers and poem were sent earlier this week, and morning call was made] but from working at "bow tie."

When I think of Mother's Day it is images of elbow macaroni glued to construction paper, or breakfast in bed with overly-diluted juice from concentrate and pancakes still liquid in the middle. Mother's Day to me is taking time away from the motherly routine of every day life to show your appreciation of that routine. Mother's Day has always been awkward for me ever since my mother has stopped providing motherly duties unto me. This is the feeling typified by "bow tie." Obviously, there are few eight-year-olds able to dig up the scratch for veal linguine at $28 a plate, so it is a lot of elderly mothers and grandmothers. "Bow tie" was just too quiet for the number of people we had. The awkward pauses and slumped postures of the mothers there were that of a funeral for the living. It had the feeling of, "Well, it's Mother's Day, time to go dig grandma out of the home for her spring time with us."

The only thing more insulting to a mother than forgetting Mother's Day would be to only remember her ON Mother's Day. Love your moms.

No comments:

Post a Comment