Tuesday, April 21, 2009

How to make German stick

My college career in German was headed by a fiery young piece of academic Euro-Trash named Frau D--. She was able to make the material very relatable. We had an entire unit on club etiquette, ordering drinks, and safe sex. She said something along the lines of, "Europe is a sweet place to hookup. It's a little harder for Americans over there because most countries hate you. It's not like a European girl coming over here." I muttered, "Amen for that, girl." This is one of those points in your life where you catch yourself, and beg the question, "Are you really that incapable of controlling your soliloquies? Ahh.... you're still speaking out loud!"

I only visited her office once. I was having trouble translating some passages of Goethe and asked for some guidance. After chit-chatting for a while she picked up her camera to show me some pictures of her most recent travels in Germany. She initially called me across the desk, but thought better of it and said, "Let me see what is on here. It was my husband and I traveling together."

When wishing us a Happy Halloween holiday she dismissed our lecture mit, "Und... keine sex ohne condome." Is a translations necessary? "And.... no sex without condoms." What a woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment